Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Sanwa Grocery

I went grocery shopping right off base today while the kids were in school. It's so nice to look around without 3 pairs of extra hands. I didn't think about taking any pictures until after I had paid. I thought that some of you might be interested in seeing how the grocery stores work here.

Every person gets a cart with a green basket. They don't have carts like we do in the States. The green basket symbolizes that you haven't paid for the items in the cart. Once they check you out then they put your items in a beige basket. Their carts have the best wheels and turn like butter. So much better than American ones.

Once you check out you are given the exact amount of bags to pack your items into and you walk beyond the checkout to this little table. The table is equipped with tape and more plastic bags in case you need to secure everything perfectly. Everyone packs their own groceries. I find Japan a major dichotomy of waste and extreme recycling. The store is packed full of so much produce and prepared foods ready to be eaten. There is no way this food is even remotely close to being eaten every single day. And they give you so many bags for every baked good. I went to the bakery to purchase a beautiful loaf of french bread and two little croissants. Each croissant was put into a bag of their own as well as the french bread before then going into their own bag together.  Plus, I was given a couple of extra bags to put the items into in case I am gifting them to someone. You have to pay for the bakery stuff separately from the rest of your groceries.

Also when you drive up to the parking lot there is an attendant showing you the way in as well as these two guys helping me get out of the lot. They stop traffic and pedestrians equally to allow cars to move out in a controlled fashion. 100% employment rate!!  But you always know you are going to be treated well.

I love the grocery stores here. I came out of there spending 5,000 yen or $40. And I included what I bought so you can see what $40 buys here.




I bought two 10 egg packs, a bunch of flavored waters (they are so yummy), a $15 bag of rice, 4 packs of yogurt (4pks each), red curry, ramen, 2 broccoli, red pepper, avocado, champagne grapes, seaweed wraps, the individual sized blocks of cream cheese as well as my bread. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting concept. Have you even lived in a place where the stores let you scan your items as you go? They had them in New Zealand, but only for people who lived there and had a bank account on file. They gave you the little wands they give you here when you're creating a registry of some sort, and you scan the items as you put them in the cart. When you're done, you return the scanner, the amount is deducted automatically from your bank account, and you get to skip the checkout lines! It might be tough with kids who put things in the cart when you're not looking, though :)

MiketheGreat said...

Everything so well thought out.