Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Mt. Takaosan

I tried to go hiking on Sunday, but it was raining. Veteran's Day ended up being my day. It was an hour 15 minutes to drive to Mt. Takaosan. Matt and I hiked it 14ish years ago when we first lived here and it's famed for it's autumnal leaves. I took the kids a little early in the season because I don't want to be there with the crowds. It's a pretty steep hike up but it is paved on the one course.  It was about 3 hours of hiking plus the monkey sanctuary and the temple.



These are the octopus cedar trees that have roots that spread out like tentacles. The Japanese were all rubbing this little octopus idol like he was going to bring them good luck. You can see one of the cedars in the background. 

Suspension bridge on the way down.



Hike up to the huge temple grounds






And the huge hotdogs. Cady and Dax both had one:(


What would an outing be without Japanese soft cream...in grape flavor with a temple guard popping out the top?

Only the Japanese hike in business suits


No comments: